Thursday 7 March 2019

NSS Kids’ Fun with Raptors at Kent Ridge Park


By Kate Lui, 8 years old

 Auntie Ee Ling telling us about resident and migratory raptors.

“Eagle!” I exclaimed as I spied a large bird soaring overhead. I ran over to tell our nature guide Auntie Ee Ling. Mum and I were at Kent Ridge Park on 17 March 2018 for a raptor and bird watching tour. Auntie Ee Ling in turn excitedly gathered everyone and revealed that my bird was a Brahminy Kite and not an eagle. She explained that both kites and eagles were birds of prey, also called raptors. The kite was circling low in the sky as it was still relatively cool at 9.30 am. As the morning progresses, the earth heats up causing columns of rising hot air called thermals to form. Auntie Ee Ling said that raptors hold out their broad wings to ride the thermals, which carry them higher and higher into the sky. In this way, they conserve energy by not having to constantly flap their wings. She thanked me for alerting her and I beamed with pride for spotting the first raptor of the walk.

Just moments before, we had been observing a Collared Kingfisher perched on a branch through a powerful scope. As we walked on, beads of sweat trickled down my forehead. But I was learning so many interesting facts about birds and wildlife that I did not complain at all. The second raptor we encountered was a fly-by Crested Honey Buzzard, a commonly seen migrant at the raptor hot spot of Kent Ridge Park. Ridges and hills deflect the wind upwards, providing another uplifting effect that help raptors gain a bird’s-eye view to effectively find their next hunt.

The White-crested Laughingthrush makes a sound like someone laughing.

That morning, we spotted many other birds including the Pink-necked Green Pigeon, Black-naped Oriole, Red Whiskered Bulbul, Asian Glossy Starling, and the White-crested Laughingthrush. Peering at these birds through the scope, I felt that the Asian Glossy Starling looked the scariest with menacing black feathers and a pair of blood red eyes. In contrast, the Pink-necked Green Pigeon was the most colourful with an attractive pink neck, orange breast and green-yellow body. My favourite sighting was the White-crested Laughingthrush as it makes a sound like someone laughing. Besides birds, we also found a Changeable Lizard with an orangey appearance, Plantain Squirrels and several butterfly species.

I had such a wonderful time that day. It was an enriching experience especially when I managed to locate the birds we saw in my handy “Birds of Singapore” guidebook. This nature trip was the highlight of my March holidays and I hope to go on another soon.